Monday, February 22, 2010

My first non-Caring Bridge blog

What a year. As I think back to what has happened to me in the last year, the sky-high medical bills, fights with insurance (and what could have happened if I hadn't had insurance because I "hadn't thought it necessary" a year ago- like anything "bad" was going to happen to me?), having to relearn how to do EVERYTHING, being poked and prodded, being treated like a child in the hospital and once I got out, having every test under the sun run on me, having LOT'S of questions and even less answers, the frustrations that come with an unknown TBI... well, it's frustrating to say the least. I shouldn't be here. Plain and simple. I'm forever grateful for some VERY special people in my life, and if the stroke has taught me anything, it's given me a new appreciation for life and the loved one's I have around me because they are very, very special.

The stroke taught me to slow down- so I'll be graduating a year later than expected and I don't have a job right now. And? As my grading assistant in my careers class pointed out- this is the only time in my life where I can "milk" the "I'm a graduate student" excuse- so I'm using it. And I don't care what people are going to think of me. Whatever. If they are going to judge me- they don't know what I've been through in the last year and what I've had to go through. Not having a job and fighting with people on the phone is pretty much a full time job in and of itself. Here's to life- just reinvented and improved. This Thursday will be my one year anniversary, and I'm still unsure of how to feel about it. A friend has the same injury date, just in 2005, and his Mom says "Happy Anniversary". He's paralyzed now from the naval down... not really something to celebrate... so we'll see on Thursday. My "one year" celebration dinner is Saturday night- and I want to go out with the special people here to know that I love them because they have stood by me through all of this drama. Those are my random thoughts for today, thanks for following along on my new site! :)
Love,
Amy Christine

2 comments:

  1. Love it Nixon, well written. You've come so far. Im so proud of you. Its good to know you're slowing down and enjoying life. I love you and can't wait to see you...couple weeks right?

    -Autry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    Graduating "on time," whatever that means, really doesn't have the merit and high status some people think it does. I love that your continuing to build relationships amidst the hectic schedule of graduate school and the many other responsibilities you have. THAT, building relationships, will help you go far.
    love,
    lily

    ReplyDelete