Monday, April 12, 2010

Migraine Preventative Diet

I went gluten-free almost 4 weeks ago (trust me- it's pretty much in everything), but didn't feel any better doing it and even had to go to the ER once with a terrrible migraine so I didn't think the diet was working. On Friday, I got my blood tested to actually see if I'm gluten intolerant, but since I didn't feel any better, I think I already know the results. This weekend I started the "Heal Your Headaches- the 1-2-3 program diet" http://headache-trigger-diet.ning.com/ because Doug (the father of the family I'm living with) gave me the book years ago and I've become desperate enough to attempt at finally controlling them. The diet consists of eliminating everything that might be a trigger (including most alcohols, fresh pastries, yogurt, caffeine, raspberries, processed foods, yeast, tomatoes, nuts and nut butters, pretty much EVERYTHING I survive on...) so shopping on a budget has forced me to become creative. After about 3 weeks, you can add something back in, and make it "the tomatos" week and see if that's actually a trigger. I'm reading labels left and right, throwing together casseroles and buying veggies to take with me when I run errands like I used to do with nuts... But if it means controling these buggers, it shoud be worth it. THere are triggers I know I can't control- like barometric pressure or stress, but if I can eliminate food triggers, that should be a good start. I hope we can finally figure it out! Hopefully at least! :)
I've been getting lot's of tests run to see what's going on with me (I promise- it's NOT all in my head- I'm literally in constant pain) and thanks to all of you wonderful people that donated when I was in the hospital, I can go have these tests run and hopefully eventually see what's wrong with my body. My mom made a good point that even the negative test results are narrowing down what's going on within me, even if it dampens my spirits. Not that I want something serious, but at least I would have an answer. I'm so sick of being a medical anomaly- I just want answers already. What 28 year old has a stroke and the medical community can't find out what's wrong? Last week I went to a pain clinic out near where I've been doing my contract data-entry job, and they specialize in pain management. Again, without that money from when I was in the hospital, I wouldn't be able to even visit these doctors or have these tests run. I should find out tomorrow or the next day what sort of plan these clinic has for me and the test results from my blood work. For now, I just sigh, knowing that I have 4 more weeks of school, I'm living with a great family that I appreciate so much, and 8 weeks until I go back to the Midwest to see my family and my best friend Hilary. My saying for "this season" continues to be "IT IS WHAT IT IS". There's nothing that I can do to change my circumstances, so worrying about things isn't going to make it any better. And those are my random thoughts for this evening! Thanks for continuing to follow along with me!
Love,
Amy Christine

1 comment:

  1. Amy, this makes me think of those medical shows on TLC(?) called Mystery Diagnosis where somebody has something wrong and no doctors can figure it out. Maybe after this is all said and done, you could be on the show :). I continue to pray that doors open for answers.

    ReplyDelete