Monday, March 8, 2010

Stirring up the pot...

I'm in a social-cultural foundations of counseling class, and it's getting me to see some of the blinders I've had on when it comes to dealing with people. Not only is it shaking up my theology and how I see God and what He is doing in my life, but it's also causing me to apologize for some of the insensitive things that I've said over the years (and I've never had a filter... so that becomes A LOT of apologies!). I'm realizing that I've been insensitive and misunderstood people and where they have come from- and after feeling some of those things in the last year, I've realized that I wouldn't want to do it to anybody else either if I can help it! This class (and my time in school in general) is a good time for me to sort through some of these things as a student and before I'm actually a practicing therapist someday! I'm having to write a reflection paper on the readings and class discussions, and I'm coming to realize just how prejudiced I am in certain areas and how hard it is for me to admit it. I hate working through these things, but I guess this is as good a time as any, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment