Tuesday, September 6, 2011

running

I want to train for a 5k in the middle of October. That might not sound like that big of a deal to many, but for someone desperately out of shape and for one of the last things I do in Colorado before I leave, it is to me. Especially living in the land of everyone here doing 10k's and marathons... the guilt pretty much lands on you when you step outside. I'm unfortunately not one of those people. I've even tried looking at my motivation behind why I want to run a 5k, and I guess the biggest thing is, I just want to be in shape again and want some discipline in my life. I hate that I'm not in shape. I hate that other things have become more important. I don't want anything to have mastery over me. I hate that already other things dictate my time, my energy, my money... I just want to be a runner. I want to have discipline. I want to be fit. I want to eat what's in front of me and know I can just run it off later! (ok, that's probably the bigger motivation here!) :) So here's where Brooke and I will be doing the 5k: http://action.lungusa.org/site/TR/Events/ALASW_Southwest/1349008588?pg=entry&fr_id=3541 I'd love donations if you feel so inclined, because then I wouldn't have to pay as much either, but we haven't registered yet either! Details! ha! This morning's run was rough. I know the first run will be, but I literally felt like a turtle could have passed me, and I had to stop and walk like every two minutes because I couldn't do it. I hate the mental game. That's the majority of the battle for me, and not having someone in South Denver to actually physically work out with right now. I know I will the day of the 5k and to push myself to keep going to the end of a song, etc., but it's just so stinking hard. I enrolled for a HMO plan with Medicare, and one of the benefits with that is that I get access to 24hour fitness centers once my card arrives. Jill, one of my neighbors upstairs, has said that she would like to go to some classes with me, and hopefully yoga and kick boxing will get me in somewhat of shape to start doing a little running, maybe? Any other ideas?
Love,
Amy Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment