Thursday, June 24, 2010

Brain Map, Decisions, and maybe moving back to the Midwest?

I had a map of my brain, an EEG, done with a Naturalist a few weeks ago. I got back her results yesterday and read them during a break in my class today. It was really interesting, and I was shocked that she could tell that much about me just by what certain waves were or weren't doing in my brain. One thing I have certainly learned firsthand in the last year is that the brain is an incredible organ, and for only using about 10% of it, we don't know very much yet. Which leads me to another thing that I have been considering- what to do from here. The Naturalist (Dr. Alba) has been having me take some natural supplements, which are really expensive, and I haven't felt much different on them. I went to see this naturalist, and I feel really comfortable with her (I feel like she has been reading my mail- she knows so much about me already!), but I really like the chiropractors that I went to see too. I don't have enough money in my "HSA" to do both, which they are about the same amount- if I was to continue with the naturalist Neuro-integration work from here or continue seeing the chiropractors. The Chiropractors were really interesting- they don't do the "normal" chiropractic work- like bone cracking- on their patients, but Network Spinal Analysis (which is more holistic). They are quite a ways away from me (about 30 minutes one way), so either option has its positive and negatives. My mom made a great point a few weeks ago- so I'm trying them each one by one and then seeing if I notice an improvement or change. So far, I haven't really. Although the super-restricted diet has made my migraines less intense and less frequent than normal, I still have them (now about every two weeks instead), and still have my daily headaches.

Moving back to the Downing House has been great- and I have really missed this community of believers here. My one house-mate went on vacation for over a week, so I have the place to myself, and I'm loving it. Although I've been having to get up early, the time to be by myself has been replenishing me. Since the stroke I'm a lot more at peace being alone, which before the stroke, I would do anything to not be alone. Even my counselor, Jolene, has said that one of the blessings to come out of the stroke is me coming to terms with my limits in a healthy manner and learning to take care of myself in the process. This next semester of school I'm going to create a learning contract focused on learn self-care as I finish my degree.

I'd like to get a new computer. The one I have I bought in October online, and I thought it was the one I had been checking out in the store. Since I didn't have my drivers license back yet, I ordered it online to not have to ask anyone to take me up to the store. It wasn't the same one, and it is huge, bulky, and heavy to lug to school and back everyday. They only take returns for 14 days, so now I'm stuck with it since it's the end of June. So I think I'm going to get a different and not as heavy one, but I think I'm going to have to get random jobs or something over the summer to pay for it (because although I have money tucked away in savings, a new computer probably wouldn't be a wise move at this point unfortunately).

I want to be closer to my family as they grow older and I hate the idea of my sister having to care for my parents as they age with just her and my brother-in-law. I'd also like to be around to see my niece's or nephews (no- Kelli's not pregnant), but with time, I'd like to be closer. I'm having to weigh my options of dealing with worse allergies, handling the humidity, not having the majestic mountain view around me all the time, but being closer to my family. If I'd be honest with myself, there's really not much that is keeping me out here besides my school. If I would drop out now, I'd have to start again in the new program (which would be more work) and Vocational Rehabilitation wouldn't be paying for it- so since I'm 75% done, I've decided to finish and I'll be done in May, even if I'm not sure of how I'll use it (or even if I will, formally) yet. Colorado hasn't really been what I thought it was going to be- God called me here, and then my best friend's child died during childbirth, the church plant was really hard on me, I started graduate school, had a stroke, had to fight to get my independence back, and everything seems to be up in the air again 5 years later. I've made some great friendships and grown a lot, but it hasn't been easy on me by any stretch of the imagination. So I'm considering moving back to Indianapolis after graduation in May. There are a lot of factors surrounding my decision, but I wouldn't have to re-learn another city since I lived there after college. I still have a few acquaintances that live there, so I wouldn't really have to start over as much as if I moved to a random place for a job or something. Again, LOT'S of decisions in my life right now, from doctors, to where and what to do after graduation, maybe a new computer, and everything in between. I'm coming to grips that it's the way my life goes, and I'm slowly coming to terms with that fact. I'm learning that's just life :) And those are my random thoughts for the evening! Thanks for continuing to follow my progress and story!
Love,
Amy Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment